Thursday, December 01, 2005

Sexomnia

If you haven’t heard of Sexomnia, you’re likely not alone. After all, it’s not even present in medical textbooks.

But the bizarre medical condition, which causes one to act out sexually while they're asleep, was rousing outraged women’s rights activists on Tuesday, after a man who admitted to having sex with a women without consent walked out of court a free man.

Thirty-three-year-old Jan Luedecke successfully used Sexomnia as a defence.

He was acquitted of sexual assault even though he admitted to having non-consensual relations with a woman he met at a party in 2003.

Justice Russell Otter, in handing down his decision, said Luedecke’s conduct wasn’t voluntary.

Upon hearing the verdict, the victim left the courtroom in tears.

The woman, who remains anonymous, met Luedecke at a party in 2003. Both were drinking and had apparently decided to crash there overnight.

The woman fell asleep on a couch, and reportedly woke up to find the man having sex with her. She pushed him off, then told police she’d been raped.

Read the complete article at Pulse 24

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(To the Victim) I hope your faith and family sustain and support you, because obviously the Canadian "Justice System" is not one you can depend on.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh! I had the idea that Canada was one of the most civlized countrys in the world, but it seems any stupid guy can become a judge!

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's even funnier is that in a world of almost infinite possibilities, both of you fail to recognize that sexomnia IS a possible disorder. My husband whom I have known most of my life (married for 14 years now) is very obvious when he's asleep. Periodically (maybe once every few months...depending on how *frisky* we've been recently) he will fondle me or stimulate me while he's asleep. If I'm not in the mood, I just roll over, kiss him on his cheek, and tell him 'not tonight'. I can tell he's asleep because he'll give me a goofy-ass grin (most of the time with closed eyes, sometimes they're open), nod slightly, and completely go limp again...most of the time snoring withing a second or two of me talking to him. He rarely, if ever, remembers it. Every now and then (assuming I'm in the mood) I let him persist...and even help :-) In the morning I get to tell him about all the fun he missed. We both get a good laugh about it, and I always make it up to him later ;-)

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sexomnia is actually a sleep disorder, although through not wanting people to take the mickey out of them, sufferers are unlikely to tell people about it.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have this.

I am an insomniac anyhow - but my ex told me that I was a nocturnal fiddler, and I know that there was many a time that I would wake up engaged fully in the act (she didn't mind though).

One of the things that had been troubling me was about the fall out from a works leaving do that, by all accounts, I had behaved in a sexually aggressive manner but had absolutely no recollection of it. These coincided with parts of the evening that I'd lost completely - I think that although I was on my feet I had almost technically passed out due to the excessive amount of Vodka I had consumed.

This isn't funny, I have lost friends through it, and was very lucky not to lose my job.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home